Last week Chipotle completed its investigation into the breach they initial reported on in late April.
The breach, which took place during the time period March 24, 2017 and April 18, 2017, has been attributed to malware that infected the POS systems at Chipotle locations around the country.
What Information Was Lost?
According to Chipotle’s public release, “the malware searched for track data (which sometimes has cardholder name in addition to card number, expiration date, and internal verification code) read from the magnetic stripe of a payment card as it was being routed through the POS device.”
Illinois Locations Affected
If you visited any of the Chipotle locations below between March 24, 2017 and April 18, 2017 there is good reason to believe your data may have been compromised.
- Addison: 1078 N. Rohlwing Rd.
- Algonquin: 412 N. Randall Road
- Arlington Heights: 338 E. Rand Road
- Aurora: 848 N. Route 59, 2902 Kirk Road, 1480 North Orchard Road
- Berwyn: 7140 W. Cermak Road
- Bloomingdale: 396 W. Army Trail Road, 170 E. Lake St.
- Bloomington: 305 N. Veterans Parkway
- Bolingbrook: 274 S. Weber Road
- Bourbonnais: 1601 Route 50
- Champaign: 903 W. Anthony Drive, 528 East Green Street
- Chicago:(Over 50 Locations) Visit Chipotle for full list
- Cicero: 2201 S. Cicero Ave.
- Countryside: 5801 S. La Grange Road
- Crestwood: 13340 S. Cicero Ave.
- Crystal Lake: 5006 Northwest Highway
- Deerfield: 675 Deerfield Road
- DeKalb: 2383 Sycamore Road, 1013A W. Lincoln Highway
- Downers Grove: 1556A Butterfield Road, 1203 W. Ogden Ave
- East Peoria: 300 W. Washington St.
- Effingham: 1207 Keller Drive
- Elk Grove Village: 910 Elk Grove Town Center
- Elmhurst: 353 S. Route 83, 139 York Road
- Evanston: 711 Church St.
- Fairview Heights: 6415 N. Illinois St.
- Frankfort: 11129 W. Lincoln Highway
- Geneva: 1441 S. Randall Road
- Glen Ellyn: 695 Roosevelt Road
- Glenview: 3846 Willow Road, 2341 Willow Road
- Gurnee: 6040 Gurnee Mills Boulevard
- Highland Park, 1849 Green Bay Ave.
- Hoffman Estates: 4600 Hoffman Boulevard, 15 E. Golf Road
- Homer Glen: 14114 S. Bell Road
- Homewood: 17700 Halsted St.
- Joliet: 2848 Plainfield Road, 2609 W. Jefferson St.
- Kildeer: 20505 N. Rand Road
- La Grange: 40 N. La Grange Road
- Lake Bluff, 945 Rockland Road
- Libertyville: 139 N. Milwaukee Ave.
- Lincolnshire: 950 Milwaukee Ave.
- Lincolnwood: 7150 N. McCormick Ave.
- Machesney Park: 1570 W. Lane Road
- Matteson: 4815 W. 211th St.
- McHenry: 2304 Richmond Road
- Melrose Park: 1401 W. North Ave.
- Mokena: 19130 S. LaGrange Road
- Moline: 3941 41st Avenue Drive
- Mount Prospect: 102 E. Kensington Road
- Naperville: 2856 Route 59, 22 E. Chicago Ave, 1516 North Naper Boulevard
- Niles: 8480 W. Golf Road
- Normal: 701 S. Main St, 1601 E. College Ave.
- Norridge: 4234 N. Harlem Ave.
- Northbrook: 786 N. Skokie Boulevard
- Oak Brook: 2103 Clearwater Drive
- Oak Lawn: 6230B W. 95th St., 11018 S. Cicero Ave.
- Oak Park: 1128 W. Lake St.
- Oak Brook: 18W050 22nd St.
- Ontario: 291 E. Ontario
- Orland Park: 15240 S. LaGrange Road: 2432 Route 34
- Oswego: 2432 Route 34
- Palatine: 781 E. Dundee Road
- Park Ridge: 119 S. Northwest Highway
- Peoria: 4512 N. Sterling Ave.
- Plainfield: 12720 S. Route 59
- Rockford: 751 S. Perryville Road
- Rolling Meadows: 1211 Golf Road
- Romeoville: 253 S. Weber Road
- Rosemont: 7020 N. Manheim Road
- Round Lake Beach: 1936 N. Route 83
- Schaumburg: 601 N. Martingale Road, 2570 W. Schaumburg Road
- Skokie: 9408 Skokie Boulevard, 5373 Touhy Ave.
- South Elgin: 348 Randall Road
- Springfield: 2579 Wabash Ave.
- St. Charles: 3821 Main St.
- Tinley Park: 15980 S. Harlem Ave.
- Vernon Hills: 375 N. Milwaukee Ave.
- Villa Park: 298 W. North Ave.
- Warrenville: 28251 Diehl Road
- Waukegan: 940 S. Waukegan Road
- West Dundee: 201 N. 8th St.,
- Westmont: 300 E. Ogden Ave.
- Wheaton: 811 E. Butterfield Road, 2119 W. Roosevelt Road
- Wheeling: 1572 W. Lake Cook Road
- Willowbrook: 7173 Kingery Highway
Affected? What Do You Do Now?
Since the exact time frame of the breach varies by location you should visit here, scroll to the bottom of the page and fill in the locations you may have visited during the broader time frame. If you find that you are indeed the likely victim of a breach you can follow the directions from Chipotle regarding account monitoring and identity protection.
Here is the overview of what Chipotle advises…
“It is always advisable to remain vigilant to the possibility of fraud by reviewing your payment card statements for any unauthorized activity. You should immediately report any unauthorized charges to your card issuer because payment card rules generally provide that cardholders are not responsible for unauthorized charges reported in a timely manner. The phone number to call is usually on the back of your payment card. Please see the section that follows this notice for additional steps you may take.”