The 2017 Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report (DBIR) has been released and as always, it is chock full of fascinating facts about the current state of the hacking and cyber threat world. You can get the full report from Verizon for free here.
Who are the Perps?
According to this year’s DBIR the breakdown of who’s been doing the most hacking looks like this:
- 75% Perpetrated by outsiders
- 51% Linked to organized criminal groups
- 25% Involved internal actors
- 18% Starred state affiliated actors
- 3% Featured multiple parties
- 2% Involved partners
How Did They Do it?
- 62% Of breaches featured hacking
- 51% Involved Malware
- 81% Leveraged stolen or weak passwords
- 43% Were social attacks
- 14% Were linked to errors or privilege misuse
- 8% Involve physical actions
The above information is just a sneak peek at a portion of the summary data contained in the 2017 DBIR. Next week we’ll take a deeper dive into what industries were hardest hit and by whom as well as get into specifics of how these industries were attacked.