According to a story in the Denver Post last week 60% of small businesses that suffer a cyber-attack go out of business within six months! That figure comes courtesy of the U.S’ National Cyber Security Alliance.
And what if you are fortunate enough to stay in business?
Well, according to the Ponemon Institute the average cost of post hack recovery for a small business stands at $690,000 while the place that figure north of $1 Million for medium sized companies.
As we have reported on this blog numerous times, cyber criminals are targeting small and medium sized businesses more frequently because they represent a more lucrative target than individuals while being far easier, on average, to penetrate and exploit.
IBM reports that 62% of all attacks are focused on small businesses which amounts to a staggering 4,000 attacks PER DAY!
Preventive Measures Your Small Business Should Be Taking
1. Create a cyber-crime awareness culture! Most breaches begin with some sort of human (employee) action. Training on the fundamentals of cyber-security and creating a culture where employees are comfortable questioning the validity of emails, phone calls and even visitors can go a long way.
2. Have a business continuity and cyber response plan. If something does go wrong that is the WRONG time to try to figure out how you will respond!
3. Keep all software, hardware and systems up to date.
4. Question all emails, links, websites and if you have any doubt DON’T OPEN IT! Maintain a healthy level of suspicion!
5. Protect your network and any and all devices that connect to the Internet. As the massive East Coast DDOS attack proved, even innocuous things such as printers, scanners and DVRs can be exploited.
6. Scan before you open anything on a USB! We’ve all heard the stories (I hope so at least :)) of an employee plug in in a USB he found lying around the office only to infect the entire system.
7. Consider cyber insurance – What is more likely -your office burning down or your business being hacked? You have insurance against fires, don’t you?
8. See #1 above and make sure that every employee understands that it cyber-security is everyone’s responsibility.
9. Encrypt your most sensitive files. That way, in the event of a breach you are still protected.
Sound Overwhelming? Let Konsultek Manage it All!
At Konsultek we understand the cyber-security is not your organization’s primary focus! That is why more and more frequently, smaller organizations just like yours are outsourcing the entire operation to us. No more steep capital investments! No more trying to hire security experts you can’t afford! Just 1 simple monthly bill and we take care of EVERYTHING!
Sound too good to be true? It really isn’t! Just give us a call and learn how you can have the experts focus on your security while you focus on growing your business!